The purpose of this project was to increase awareness and to prevent and reduce the risk of abuse of older adults. Raising awareness is a key to addressing senior and elder abuse. In discussing it openly we can work towards creating an environment where it can be recognized and addressed.
Goals of this project were:
- To promote the awareness and recognition of all types of abuse of older adults.
- To increase the safety and security of older adults within Yukon communities.
- To educate older adults, as well as family members and professionals providing services and support to them.
- To empower older adults to action in planning and preparing for support when no longer able to make decisions on their own.
- To develop community connections so that those interested in prevention of abuse of older adults can work together.
Funded by the Government of Canada’s New Horizons for Seniors Program